Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Google Sheets

Google sheets is a free program within the Google Docs.  Essentially, Google sheets is like Excel, except that it can be used my multiple users simultaniously; even if they are in different locations.  You can insert data and create graphs and/or charts to show that data.  You can also easily insert pictures.

For my part in the Google sheets project, I played with the data that another member had put into the data sheet and I created a graph.  I did have a hard time getting all three of the cells I wanted to use represented on the graph; only two showed up.  I also gave a few ways that I think the Google sheets could be used for teacher and/or student use.  For example, teachers and students could use this tool to show assignment due dates, values, and scores.  This could make it so that the students are held more accountable for their own work because they have access to a record of their current grades.  This could also be extended to the parents so that they also have access and know how their student is doing all throughout the term/year.
An idea that I really liked that someone else in my group came up with was the idea of sharing the sheets with other teachers, especially with in secondary schools, so that teachers can know how their students are doing across the board.

Here are links to our spread sheet and our reflections:
http://tinyurl.com/sheetsreflection
http://tinyurl.com/spreadsheetplay

1 comment:

  1. Am looking forward to your groups presentation today.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete